Unit 7.1 Static Equilibrium Practice Test
- A 100 kg uniform, horizontal beam is supported at each end. If a 300 kg piano rests a quarter of the way from one end, then what is the vertical force that makes the system stay in equilibrium?
- A person lies horizontally across the entirety of a board, of length 1.5 m, that is positioned in such a way that each end lies on a scale. Scale 1 reads 25 kg and scale 2 reads 30 kg. Given that the woman’s mass is 50 kg what distance are each of the scales from the center of gravity of the woman lying on the board?
- Two children sit on opposite ends of the a see saw Child 1 of mass 40 kg and Child 2 of mass 30 kg and another child, Child 3 of mass 20 kg, wants to balance the seesaw where should she sit? Assume that the seesaw is uniform and is 10m long.
- A 10.0 m long uniform ladder weighs 325 N. It is positioned at an angle of 70° with the horizontal. Assume that the wall is frictionless. Calculate the coefficient of friction that is needed to keep the ladder from sliding down.
- Consider a situation with three torques on a board. One on each end and one in the middle (caused by gravity). Draw a diagram of what happens when you consider each possible pivot point and how the torques interact (oppose or add).