Waves Practice Test 1
Click here for the PDF version of the practice test!
Click here for the PDF version of the answer key!
- A sound wave has a wavelength of 15 cm in a 30°C environment. What is the velocity of the wave?
- You drop a rock off a cliff 30m high how long does it take for the sound to reach you (From when you drop it) (Temp = 21°C) ?
- A person sits on a bench and hears a 420 Hz sound coming from a car. In actuality the horn is giving off a 400 Hz wave, what is velocity of the car (Temp = 20°C) ?
- On a hot 30°C day, two cars are moving towards each other. Car 1 is moving 27.0 m/s and emits a 512 Hz. Car 2 is moving at 13.0 m/s, what is the frequency of the sound heard by Car 2?
- A instrument is a 2 m long pipe and has one closed end and one open end. What is fundamental frequency(1st harmonic), 3rd harmonic, and 5th harmonic? How many harmonics are possible in this instrument?
- An open ended pipe has a standing wave in it with a frequency of 200 Hz. What is the fundamental frequency and the length of the pipe (Temp = 20°C) ?
- Explain to someone (who isn’t familiar with physics) exactly how and why the Tacoma narrows bridge collapsed.